Skip to main content

Synesthesia And Blending As Sensory Art

I am frequently asked how I get ideas for my blends. Where does my inspiration come from? Which comes first, the blend or its name?

I'm proud of how original my blends are, and how different from blends you'll find by any other company. This is largely due to the fact that I have synesthesia (meaning my senses are cross-wired and abstract concepts, personalities, colors, weather, etc. all translate to me as flavor). My dominant forms are referred to as "lexical-gustatory," "auditory-tactile," and "mirror touch." It's fascinating stuff for sure, and has made my life and relationships more complicated. On the flip side, I have discovered a practical use for my brain-strangeness! Like many synesthetes before me (Jimi Hendrix, Tori Amos, Richard Feynman, Vladimir Nabokov, etc.), I've translated my particular brand of strange into a career.

Synesthesia salad. credit: jessicahagy.info/


My personal experience with synesthesia leads me to experience just about everything as flavor/tactile sensation (I can't differentiate between the two). I think of an abstract, or one is mentioned to me (a character, a personality trait, a feeling, etc.), and I register it as a flavor profile, complete with mouthfeel (full-bodiedness, texture) and all the complexities of a delicate blend. Which is exactly what I do with it now. This is my way of relating to my world. Here's an example:

I love sci-fi. LOVE it. My parents are both huge trekkies. Like most geeks, I'm a huge Firefly fan. Friends asked me to put together a series of Browncoat blends, which was super easy. The show does a gorgeous job of defining characters clearly, making them easy to taste and, therefore, blend. Let's look at Captain Mal's Blend.


Mal = Tea, fig, cacao. Duh.


I experience this character as a full-bodied, musky, slightly tangy flavor. Earthy, rounded and slightly sweet, Mal is to me a blend of Ceylon and Pu-Er black teas with cacao nib and fig. No brainer. Also not a blend any other company would ever think of putting together, nor would anyone outside my worldview see it coming. But I find that when people hear the ingredients, taste the blend, smell the blend, etc., there is often this moment I get to witness in their reaction. This kind of "Oh, yeah! That's totally Mal!" reaction which delights and validates me.

This is how I do all my blends. I don't put thought of flavor profiles into it in the traditional sense. To me, on the rare occasion a blend doesn't come together perfectly the first time, I examine the shapes present in the flavor profile in order to determine what flavor is missing. When I think about a flavor, it registers as a shape. If a blend is missing something, I can taste what shape isn't strong enough.

A complete flavor profile must contain a certain number of triangles, squares, ovals, and circles. Each shape has colors associated with it, and certain flavors. For example, pineapple is a triangular, lime-green flavor. chocolate is a brown, square flavor. If a blend isn't sharp enough, I know I need to add more triangles. I run through an inventory of triangular flavors in my mind (pineapple, garlic, clove, lemon, lime, salt, mango), and find the one which is exactly the right hue to complete the color circuit matching the abstract concept.

I'm sure you can see now why I haven't shared much of my experience throughout my adult life. It's so complicated and strange, I've been afraid of people judging me, thinking I was a freak. My dear friend Amy recently convinced me to share my experiences, my point of view, my technique. She thinks it will help people relate to and enjoy my teas more, and I think she may be right. She usually is. :)

I know this is all confusing, so please feel free to ask any and all questions you may have!

-Friday

Comments

  1. So very, very interesting! As you release new blends I would love to hear the synesthesia story behind the blend's creation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fascinating! I'm so glad you shared your experience. Now *I* want to have your superpower! And your tea, of course. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have synesthesia too! I wonder how ours would match up hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love meeting other synesthetes! It's always fascinating! I have never met another with the same dominant forms as I have, and it's always so neat to compare experiences!

      Delete
  4. I'm 30 years old female I tested genital herpes (HSV1-2) positive in 2014. I was having bad outbreaks. EXTREMELY PAINFUL. I have try different kinds of drugs and treatment by the medical doctors all to know was avail. Six months ago I was desperately online searching for a helpful remedies for genital herpes (HSV1-2) cure, which i come across some helpful remedies on how Dr David have help so many people in curing genital herpes (HSV1-2) with the help of herbal treatment because I too believe there is someone somewhere in the world who can cure herpes completely. As of the past 2 months, however, I've been following his herpes protocol Via (dr.davidherhalhomesolution@gmail.com) and it stopped all outbreaks completely! To my greatest surprise I was cured completely by following the protocol of his herbal medicine . Don't be discouraged by the medical doctors. There is a cure for HSV with the help of herbs and roots kindly contact him for more information Via (dr.davidherbalhomesolution@gmail.com)
    or Whatsapp him on +2348118447344 He is capable of curing HIV/AIDS, HERPES, HPV, HSV1&2, CANCER of all kinds, DIABETES and so many other infections.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought I will ever be cure from my Herpes again, I was diagnosed with Genital Herpes since last year July, Until one day I go on a research on the Internet where I saw someone given testimony on how Dr Ogala help him cure his herpes with his natural herbal medicine, i was so surprised when i saw the testimony, and I have to also contact the herbal doctor (Ogala) for help, He sent me his remedy and i was cured completely within 2 weeks of taking the remedy. I am so grateful to this man as he has restored my health and made me a happy person again. Anyone out there who might be facing the same problem or any sexual transmitted disease should kindly contact Dr Ogala on Email: ogalasolutiontemple@gmail.com Or WhatsApp +2349123794867

    ReplyDelete
  6. HOW I GOT RID OF HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS BY DR ISHIAKU

    I want to inform the public how I was cured of herpes simplex Virus by a herbal Dr called ISHIAKU. I visited different hospitals but they gave me a list of drugs like Famvir, Zovirax, and Valtrex which are very expensive to treat the symptoms and never cured me. I was browsing through the Internet searching for remedies on Herpes and I saw comments of people talking about how dr ishiaku cured them. I Was scared because I never believed in the Internet but I was convinced to give him a try because I had no hope of being cured of herpes so I decided to contact him on his email, i searched his email on the net and I saw a lot of people testifying about his goodness. When I contacted him he gave me hope and sent a Herbal medicine to me that I took and it seriously worked for me, am a free person now without any problems, my HERPES result came out negative. You can contact him on his what - sapp him via (+2348180828544) or email ishiakuherbalcure@yahoo.com and get all your problems solved.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Indigenous Sips: Pacific Madrone

Pacific Northwest local red-barked beauty Pacific Madrone, aka Arbutus Menziesii , is a sight to behold for sure. The rich hue and dramatically peeling bark, the curve of its sturdy branches and sheen of its verdant waxy leaves are all peak hiking aesthetic, but did you know this tree has long been a multipurpose source of healing tincture and tea? Various tribes of the west coast, ranging from California up through British Columbia, make use of Madrone bark and berries. Extracted as a tincture or bundled and bruised for a poultice, this plant can be used topically to treat minor wounds and sores. Brewed as a tea, the light-bodied brew has notes of cinnamon, foresty fungus and wood smoke and is used to help a stomachache or as a cold medicine. This tree serves as a very renewable source of bark, leaf and berry and can be harvested without damaging the tree. Madrones will naturally shed their leaf every two years and their bark each summer. When you approach a Madrone in midsumme

Six True Types of Tea

We get asked a LOT what the difference is between white tea and black tea, herbal tea and green tea, and so on. The world of tea is mysterious and a lot of you want to learn more, so let's start with the basics! True tea comes from the Camellia Sinensis plant. Always. Any infusion made from the leaf, stem, root or whatever other part of any other plant falls into the "tisane" category, also known as "herbal tea." Those are a whole tasty world absolutely worth your time and attention, but today we're focusing on true teas.   There are six basic types of true tea, delineated by the level of oxidation allowed to occur in the leaf during processing. After picking, tea leaves frequently go through a process of bruising, withering, heating, and drying. (I say frequently because the world of tea is so vast and varied, every facet of the end product is up for flux. How much caffeine? What does it taste like? Is it smooth or brash? The answer is always "it