Skip to main content

Behind the Blend: Murray Creek

Today's featured blend dissection holds a very deep special place in my heart. This was the first blend I ever developed. It was also inspired by my late grandmother, Ann K. Elliott.

Grandma Annie with my cousin Ayla in 2012 

My Grandma Annie was an incredible woman and a huge part of my youth and upbringing. When I was little we lived in central California and most of my formative memories happened out on the spiritual retreat/family homestead called Murray Creek, way out in the rural foothills that divided wine country and the great redwood forest. Gold Rush country (read more about Murray Creek here).

My grandparents lived on a sixty acre spread along with myself, my three siblings, my parents, and whatever cousins/aunts/uncles/friends that happened to be visiting. There were also countless goats, chickens, dogs, cats and one particularly vocal peacock named George. My parents, sibs and self lived in the small two-bedroom log cabin down the hill from my grandparents' yellow house. We spent much of our time playing in the oak-and-cedar forest and small creek full of minnows and water skeeters. Blackberries were abundant and all parts of that region smelled constantly of good minerals, creek mud and redwood bark.

My grandparents were both healers and deeply spiritual people. Grandpa's shamanic work (He was a legit wizard. Ten belly buttons and everything.) was complemented by Grandma's herbalist practices and Jungian Christian counseling. Grandma was fascinated by mandalas in particular, so we did a lot of fun geometric play growing up.

The first time I ever drank tea, I was home sick from school and my grandmother made me a strongly-brewed cup of chamomile with lots of honey from a neighbor's bees. It was so sweet it honestly might have well been just straight honey, so naturally my six-year-old self fell in love. From that first cup of chamomile, Grandma introduced me to peppermint, verbena and lemon balm. It took me a while to have any interest in true tea, but those early herbal infusions became among my favorite treats.

My grandmother was a magical person. It was impossible to feel uncomfortable or unsafe around her and she seemed to know absolutely everything about the natural and spiritual worlds. Every time I create a new blend, it always has some underlying application for physical, mental and/or emotional health. This work is my tribute to Grandma Annie, in addition to bringing me joy every day just due to my love of the work.

Murray Creek Blend

Murray Creek Blend is rooted in Rooibos (red tea) for its earthy, brilliant Redness. It's so rich and so real. Grounding and comfortable, with just a hint of playful sweetness. The base of this tisane is all about those redwoods and those perfect Grandma hugs.
Next is peppermint. It's bright, fun, and sharpens the mind. Mint grows everywhere at Murray Creek, and we would frequently snack on it while creekwalking and picking blackberries.
The last note is chamomile, of course. How could it have been anything else?

I frequently prescribe this tea for insomnia, stress and anxiety. People might not necessarily know they're indirectly experiencing the warm hugs and shining smile of one of the best grandmas in the world, but I like to think they can feel it.

Loves,
Friday

Comments

  1. I spent a great deal of my youth visiting my grandparents in Grass Valley, California. Some of what you wrote rings a bell with me.; water skeeters in the creek, long warm days playing all day. My grandmother was not the "smother you in kisses" type, though she cooked the best pancakes on her wood-burning stove. I love your lovely memories! I sooo have to order some Murray Creek Blend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for sharing! We also had wood-burning stoves for both heat and cookery (as well as an electrical stove, but the wood-burning one was more fun). I love that you are able to relate to this! ❤️

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Indigenous Sips: Pacific Madrone

Pacific Northwest local red-barked beauty Pacific Madrone, aka Arbutus Menziesii , is a sight to behold for sure. The rich hue and dramatically peeling bark, the curve of its sturdy branches and sheen of its verdant waxy leaves are all peak hiking aesthetic, but did you know this tree has long been a multipurpose source of healing tincture and tea? Various tribes of the west coast, ranging from California up through British Columbia, make use of Madrone bark and berries. Extracted as a tincture or bundled and bruised for a poultice, this plant can be used topically to treat minor wounds and sores. Brewed as a tea, the light-bodied brew has notes of cinnamon, foresty fungus and wood smoke and is used to help a stomachache or as a cold medicine. This tree serves as a very renewable source of bark, leaf and berry and can be harvested without damaging the tree. Madrones will naturally shed their leaf every two years and their bark each summer. When you approach a Madrone in midsumme

Synesthesia And Blending As Sensory Art

I am frequently asked how I get ideas for my blends. Where does my inspiration come from? Which comes first, the blend or its name? I'm proud of how original my blends are, and how different from blends you'll find by any other company. This is largely due to the fact that I have synesthesia (meaning my senses are cross-wired and abstract concepts, personalities, colors, weather, etc. all translate to me as flavor). My dominant forms are referred to as "lexical-gustatory," "auditory-tactile," and "mirror touch." It's fascinating stuff for sure, and has made my life and relationships more complicated. On the flip side, I have discovered a practical use for my brain-strangeness! Like many synesthetes before me (Jimi Hendrix, Tori Amos, Richard Feynman, Vladimir Nabokov, etc.), I've translated my particular brand of strange into a career. Synesthesia salad. credit: jessicahagy.info/ My personal experience with synesthesia leads me

Six True Types of Tea

We get asked a LOT what the difference is between white tea and black tea, herbal tea and green tea, and so on. The world of tea is mysterious and a lot of you want to learn more, so let's start with the basics! True tea comes from the Camellia Sinensis plant. Always. Any infusion made from the leaf, stem, root or whatever other part of any other plant falls into the "tisane" category, also known as "herbal tea." Those are a whole tasty world absolutely worth your time and attention, but today we're focusing on true teas.   There are six basic types of true tea, delineated by the level of oxidation allowed to occur in the leaf during processing. After picking, tea leaves frequently go through a process of bruising, withering, heating, and drying. (I say frequently because the world of tea is so vast and varied, every facet of the end product is up for flux. How much caffeine? What does it taste like? Is it smooth or brash? The answer is always "it