Skip to main content

What we're about: a guide for new & old friends

In the wake of the recent Adagio Teas scandal, we've received hundreds of new followers and customers over the last two days. Our email is blowing up and I can barely keep up with social media conversations! This is a great problem to have, though I do hope you'll all bear with me if order processing and email response are a hair slower than usual.

This seems like an ideal time for an introduction to our new friends and a reintroduction to our longtime friends. So hi, nice to meet you!

   
Founder/CEO, Friday Elliott
I'm Friday, and this is my tea shop. I launched Friday Afternoon in October of 2010 after half a decade of obsessive and passionate tea and business studies. I was raised by huge nerds and hippies (hence the combination of medicinal ingredients and geek themes). When I first started developing blends, I realized pretty quickly that there was high demand for fun themed tea blends, and that tabletop gamers were beginning an exciting transition from unhealthy energy drinks and sodas to high quality loose-leaf tea. My lexical-gustatory synesthesia allows for a totally unique take on flavor profiles, so we gained almost immediate recognition in the tea-loving nerd community for teas unlike other companies. Me? I'm just happy to do my Hufflepuff thing. My love of tea and vast array of fandoms coincide well with my primary motivating factor: providing a sense of care, comfort, fun and safety to everyone I meet.

Our product is all ethically sourced from great farms around the world and our shop is designed to be a haven for whoever needs us. As a queer single mother with a non-binary tween, I know what it is to desperately need some comfort and stability in this world. So many of you are similarly in emotional need, and I have the great privilege to be able to offer some love in my small, delicious way. That's what we're about here.

TeaChild giggles <3
On our event calendar you will find all sorts of fun happenings, from live music to nerd POC gatherings to game nights, open mics and craft groups. If you have interest in hosting your event with us, please email! We're always open to new community-building opportunities in our space.

Welcome to Friday Afternoon Tea!

Comments

  1. Er... I've been a fan of yours for a while, but have also shopped with Adagio. Can you link to news about Adagio? I have not heard anything and can find nothing via google. thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's the link to all the scandal happening with Adagio right now. I'm super disappointed. They were my stepping stone into the world of loose tea when I was a teenager. It hurts to see this kind of behavior from their CEO.
      https://twitter.com/elliottjunkyard/status/980876681597673473

      Delete
    2. Thanks, I hadn't heard any of this! I'll miss the fandom blends I love from them, and start looking for other people's (like yours) versions similar to some of my other favorites from them.

      Delete
  2. Have I told you lately how proud I am of you?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Indigenous Sips: Pacific Madrone

Pacific Northwest local red-barked beauty Pacific Madrone, aka Arbutus Menziesii , is a sight to behold for sure. The rich hue and dramatically peeling bark, the curve of its sturdy branches and sheen of its verdant waxy leaves are all peak hiking aesthetic, but did you know this tree has long been a multipurpose source of healing tincture and tea? Various tribes of the west coast, ranging from California up through British Columbia, make use of Madrone bark and berries. Extracted as a tincture or bundled and bruised for a poultice, this plant can be used topically to treat minor wounds and sores. Brewed as a tea, the light-bodied brew has notes of cinnamon, foresty fungus and wood smoke and is used to help a stomachache or as a cold medicine. This tree serves as a very renewable source of bark, leaf and berry and can be harvested without damaging the tree. Madrones will naturally shed their leaf every two years and their bark each summer. When you approach a Madrone in midsumme

Synesthesia And Blending As Sensory Art

I am frequently asked how I get ideas for my blends. Where does my inspiration come from? Which comes first, the blend or its name? I'm proud of how original my blends are, and how different from blends you'll find by any other company. This is largely due to the fact that I have synesthesia (meaning my senses are cross-wired and abstract concepts, personalities, colors, weather, etc. all translate to me as flavor). My dominant forms are referred to as "lexical-gustatory," "auditory-tactile," and "mirror touch." It's fascinating stuff for sure, and has made my life and relationships more complicated. On the flip side, I have discovered a practical use for my brain-strangeness! Like many synesthetes before me (Jimi Hendrix, Tori Amos, Richard Feynman, Vladimir Nabokov, etc.), I've translated my particular brand of strange into a career. Synesthesia salad. credit: jessicahagy.info/ My personal experience with synesthesia leads me

Six True Types of Tea

We get asked a LOT what the difference is between white tea and black tea, herbal tea and green tea, and so on. The world of tea is mysterious and a lot of you want to learn more, so let's start with the basics! True tea comes from the Camellia Sinensis plant. Always. Any infusion made from the leaf, stem, root or whatever other part of any other plant falls into the "tisane" category, also known as "herbal tea." Those are a whole tasty world absolutely worth your time and attention, but today we're focusing on true teas.   There are six basic types of true tea, delineated by the level of oxidation allowed to occur in the leaf during processing. After picking, tea leaves frequently go through a process of bruising, withering, heating, and drying. (I say frequently because the world of tea is so vast and varied, every facet of the end product is up for flux. How much caffeine? What does it taste like? Is it smooth or brash? The answer is always "it