Skip to main content

Tea Pets 101


    Have you been harboring a curiosity over the small statues in Chinese tea shops? Do your friends, with their fancy slatted trays and rare oolongs, have a little friend who frequently graces their tea table? Are you super super into tiny cute animal figurines and delicious teas? You, my friend, are ready to get hooked on tea pets.

    These little buddies date back to the Yuan Dynasty (1206-1368 AD) when pottery artists began playing with teapot scraps, fashioning whimsical figures out of the spare clay to entertain themselves and their clients. The practice caught on and soon there was demand for intentionally fashioned statues designed to represent household spirits and mythological guardians such as dragons, great turtles and luck-bearing dogs. A bed of coins under the pet (or one in the mouth as pictured below) represents a pet that will bring financial prosperity to a household. Birds are thought to bring wisdom and happiness. Some are fashioned to look like a beloved pet, while others are irreverent and even lewd!

      It's not unusual to find tea pets that change color when hot water is poured over top. You're equally likely to find pets that burble and blow bubbles, pets that smooth to your touch and learn your fingers over time, or pets that literally shoot a stream of "pee" up to seven feet across the room!

    My first tea pet ever was a gift I bought myself for my thirtieth birthday. My house had just been burned down by my dog and I was homeless. I'd lost almost everything and was so freakin stressed out. Dr. Boyfriend took me to a Taiwanese tea shop here in Seattle and at the tasting counter I saw my tea pet. A beautiful cobra, about six inches tall, seated atop a pile of coins with an elegant tail holding up a crown. The temperature-reactive paint turned emerald green and sunflower gold when hot tea was poured over it and I was entranced. It was my special gift to myself, a treasure to help the terrible month feel a bit lighter. A way to salvage The Big Three-Oh. It's still my most precious tea pet and every time I use it, I get the warm fuzzies. Tea pets are designed to be sentimental.
 

    I am often asked the following questions about tea pets. 

"What do they do?"
    They are cute! They make you feel good! They might blow bubbles, they might change color, they might pee, but mostly they sit around and make you smile.

"How should I take care of them?"
   
Tea pet care is delightfully simple! Simply water them regularly with hot tea (mostly important for tea pets made of yixing clay, which will crack if left for a long time without hot water bathing), allow them to air dry well after use, and that's it!

"What are they made of?"
   
All manner of substances can be made into tea pets, from a simple garden rock with googly eyes to the most rare and precious of clays. Many tea pets will be made of yixing clay (these unglazed pets range from pale red to deep dark brown, nearly black in hue), but porcelain is equally common, and even metal tea pets aren't unheard-of! Unglazed pets will be more absorbent and take longer to dry, but will also generally be designed to do a fun trick, such as pee across a room or blow bubbles. The glazed ones are typically designed simply to be cheerful, though some do have the temperature-reactive color changing paint, which is very exciting!


"What shapes are there?"
    Tea pets can be any size and shape. In my personal collection, I currently have one pee boy, one snake, one little red pig, and one bat! I have seen horses, cranes, and fish heads with their mouths open. I have seen a small stack of pebbles on a tea tray be treated with the same charm and reverence as an intricate gilded dragon sculpture. If your heart is drawn to it, go for it! A big part of the fun of tea pets is showing off all the strange, beautiful and silly designs you can find or make!

Thanks for taking the time to read a bit about these wonderful little friends. Tea pets are a joy, and I hope you've felt a bit of their happiness just by reading about them!

xoxo,
Friday (she/her)

Comments

  1. My health was horrible before I decided to try the Protocol Of taking Dr OYAKHIRE . I felt there was no hope for my health and I was to try the Protocol thinking it wouldn’t work because I have visited so many hospital but same result. However, I was convinced by my friend to try the herbal medicine because I wanted to get rid of HIV. The herbal mixture that was given to me was really quick and easy to take, and since I have be taking it for less than 3 days I have less outbreak. But within one week i was fully cured from HIV. The herbal medicine really work and I will like to share this great herb doctor contact with you all email him droyakhireherbalhome@gmil.comor WhatsApp +2347084100646 Pls try and help yourself out of warts completely today. he also cure DIABETES UCLA CANCER etc.He also told me that he has solution for the flowing.1 Cancer cure2 Diabetes cure3 Ringing ear4 Herpes cure5 Warts cure6 HPV cure7 Get your ex back8 Pregnancy herbal medicine9 Prostate enlargement10 Hepatitis B11 Disability12 Kidney problem Etc+2347084100646 or email:droyakhireherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My health was horrible before I decided to try the Protocol Of taking Dr OYAKHIRE . I felt there was no hope for my health and I was to try the Protocol thinking it wouldn’t work because I have visited so many hospital but same result. However, I was convinced by my friend to try the herbal medicine because I wanted to get rid of HIV. The herbal mixture that was given to me was really quick and easy to take, and since I have be taking it for less than 3 days I have less outbreak. But within one week i was fully cured from HIV. The herbal medicine really work and I will like to share this great herb doctor contact with you all email him droyakhireherbalhome@gmil.comor WhatsApp +2347084100646 Pls try and help yourself out of warts completely today. he also cure DIABETES UCLA CANCER etc.He also told me that he has solution for the flowing.1 Cancer cure2 Diabetes cure3 Ringing ear4 Herpes cure5 Warts cure6 HPV cure7 Get your ex back8 Pregnancy herbal medicine9 Prostate enlargement10 Hepatitis B11 Disability12 Kidney problem Etc+2347084100646 or email:droyakhireherbalhome@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. powerful herbal healer called Dr. voodoo who use his natural herbs to cure
    my HIV disease I suffered from 5years, but now I am a happy woman and i am
    free from this disease that has been problem to my living, after using Dr.
    voodoo herbal medicine within 1week i was diagnose negative, I will
    recommend Dr. voodoo to everyone reading this article because this herbal
    healer is capable to heal anything below.

    1. Diabetes
    2. HERPES 1/2
    3. CANCER
    4. Lymphoma disease
    5. Conceived a child
    6. Fibroid

    Email Dr voodoo at: voodoospelltemple66@gmail.com add Dr. voodoo on
    whatsApp: +2348140120719

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Indigenous Sips: Pacific Madrone

Pacific Northwest local red-barked beauty Pacific Madrone, aka Arbutus Menziesii , is a sight to behold for sure. The rich hue and dramatically peeling bark, the curve of its sturdy branches and sheen of its verdant waxy leaves are all peak hiking aesthetic, but did you know this tree has long been a multipurpose source of healing tincture and tea? Various tribes of the west coast, ranging from California up through British Columbia, make use of Madrone bark and berries. Extracted as a tincture or bundled and bruised for a poultice, this plant can be used topically to treat minor wounds and sores. Brewed as a tea, the light-bodied brew has notes of cinnamon, foresty fungus and wood smoke and is used to help a stomachache or as a cold medicine. This tree serves as a very renewable source of bark, leaf and berry and can be harvested without damaging the tree. Madrones will naturally shed their leaf every two years and their bark each summer. When you approach a Madrone in midsumme

Synesthesia And Blending As Sensory Art

I am frequently asked how I get ideas for my blends. Where does my inspiration come from? Which comes first, the blend or its name? I'm proud of how original my blends are, and how different from blends you'll find by any other company. This is largely due to the fact that I have synesthesia (meaning my senses are cross-wired and abstract concepts, personalities, colors, weather, etc. all translate to me as flavor). My dominant forms are referred to as "lexical-gustatory," "auditory-tactile," and "mirror touch." It's fascinating stuff for sure, and has made my life and relationships more complicated. On the flip side, I have discovered a practical use for my brain-strangeness! Like many synesthetes before me (Jimi Hendrix, Tori Amos, Richard Feynman, Vladimir Nabokov, etc.), I've translated my particular brand of strange into a career. Synesthesia salad. credit: jessicahagy.info/ My personal experience with synesthesia leads me

Six True Types of Tea

We get asked a LOT what the difference is between white tea and black tea, herbal tea and green tea, and so on. The world of tea is mysterious and a lot of you want to learn more, so let's start with the basics! True tea comes from the Camellia Sinensis plant. Always. Any infusion made from the leaf, stem, root or whatever other part of any other plant falls into the "tisane" category, also known as "herbal tea." Those are a whole tasty world absolutely worth your time and attention, but today we're focusing on true teas.   There are six basic types of true tea, delineated by the level of oxidation allowed to occur in the leaf during processing. After picking, tea leaves frequently go through a process of bruising, withering, heating, and drying. (I say frequently because the world of tea is so vast and varied, every facet of the end product is up for flux. How much caffeine? What does it taste like? Is it smooth or brash? The answer is always "it